Associate Lecturer / Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in BaQS
Duty station: Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Reports to: Head of Department
Westminster International University in Tashkent (WIUT) is the first international university in Uzbekistan to offer a Western-style education with UK qualifications. WIUT was established in 2002 in conjunction with the "UMID" Presidential Foundation, the Ministry of Higher and Secondary Specialized Education, and the University of Westminster in London. WIUT is still a young university with nearly 5,000 students and more than 140 full-time faculties, but with an established presence and a growing international reputation. WIUT has blended the traditions and standards of British education with the culture and environment of Central Asia.
WIUT’s development strategy is based on three strategic affairs of the University: Student Experience, Staff Experience, and Society Engagement. Our Strategic Priorities are focused on enhancing these three pillars by Strengthening, Smartening and Sustaining them. For more information: https://www.wiut.uz/
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
Westminster International University in Tashkent is seeking Pre-university Members to work in Tashkent. In your role as Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to undertake teaching, subject development, research and related administration on a range of courses, including both undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Basics of Quantitative Skills. You will also work with WIUT to manage the development of its Pre-university, which will have introductory and intermediate courses in Basics of Quantitative Skills.
Central to the vision of WIUT is to represent the excellence of Uzbekistan’s education and research capacity in the global arena. WIUT’s distinctiveness is primarily based on an atmosphere that contributes to the intellectual, cultural and social enrichment of students offered by a research-focused university. The language of instruction for all studies is English. As a Faculty Member, you will be focused on the student experience through high-quality teaching, personal guidance and support to ensure students master and apply the material. We are seeking someone committed to the development, delivery and administration of a module or set of modules, intellectually curious and prepared to engage in research on issues relating to the economic development of Uzbekistan and Central Asia.
This course aims to enable Pre-university students to acquire the necessary skills for entry to WIUT.
- To teach on a range of modules within the subject area on foundation, undergraduate, postgraduate levels, including the associated assessment setting, marking and review process in accordance with the University Quality Assurance and Enhancement process.
- Developing new teaching methods (including technological support) and designing programme units, and taking responsibility for the quality of programme units (Prepare and improve course materials, syllabi, assignments and handouts, Plan, evaluate and revise curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.)
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
- Keep abreast of developments in the relevant subject area and participate in professional seminars and conferences.
- Developing the research activities of the Department/Faculty by sustaining a personal research plan independently and/or in collaboration with others as part of a larger research team. Conduct research and present results in research seminars and conferences, publish outcomes in scholarly journals.
- Contribute to the efficient management and administration of the Faculty by: Performing such personal administrative duties throughout the Faculty as are recognized by the University as properly within the remit of the work of academic staff, as allocated by the Head of Subject Area. Such duties may include Faculty co-ordinating roles, for example, running the process of feedback collections, examinations, teaching quality assessment (peer-to-peer review), course presentations, promotion and marketing, parent’s day presentations, quality of teaching auditing (annual monitoring).
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Candidates are expected to hold a higher degree and Master’s degree, preferably from an international institute of Higher Education HE.
- Candidates should be fluent in English either with 7 IELTS or a subject qualification taught and assessed in English as per the policy on Academic staff.
- Teaching experience in the HE sector and/or relevant work experience.
- Evidence of team working and contribution as a team member.
Aptitudes, abilities, skills and personal qualities:
- The applicants will need to demonstrate their commitment, flexibility, passion and enthusiasm for the subject area.
- Be well organized and able to plan ahead and meet deadlines.
- Continually updating knowledge and understanding in the field or specialism. Extending, transforming and applying knowledge acquired.
Research environment/Opportunities of WIUT
- WIUT Weekly Research seminar
- Regular Research training sessions
- University of Westminster in London (UoW) and WIUT research collaboration fund
- Support for UoW PhD by publication
- Case Study Development Grants
- Support in National Research and Innovation Competitions
- Annual Research awards (for successful researchers)
- Journal Submission fee cover fund
- WIUT Conference Travel Support Scheme
- WIUT local doctorate research fellowship
- Hosting Local and International Conferences
- Visiting fellow program
- Jamboree for young researchers
- Research Digest
- Research projects
- Learning Resource Center
Timing and Location
- You should be prepared to move to Tashkent, Uzbekistan by August/September 2022 or earlier for acculturation and to prepare for teaching.
- Fluency in oral and written English. Knowledge of Russian would be an advantage, as is knowledge of Uzbek.
How to Apply
To apply please complete this application form online and upload
- a cover letter indicating the position applied, past teaching and research experience, reasons why the position is of interest, evaluation of the your fit with the Department’s teaching and research profile
- an up-to-date CV
- a copy of Master/PhD thesis or a published article in the last 3 years
- a teaching and research statement
- copies and transcripts of diplomas (Bachelors, Masters and PhD if applicable)
- contact information for three professional references.
The position will carry the rank of Associate Lecturer, Lecturer or Senior Lecturer. Rank will be based on the candidate’s research field, education background, publication record and teaching experience. Compensation package, benefits and working conditions are competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Attractive start-up research support will be available.
Click here for more information about WIUT’s academic programmes.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Review other job vacancies at: http://www.wiut.uz/job-wiut