Westminster International University in Tashkent (WIUT) was founded on the 16th January 2002 in partnership with the University of Westminster (UK, London) and the UMID Foundation of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan. The first study programmes, the Certificate of the International Foundation Studies and the Certificate of Higher Education in Business Administration, were validated by the University of Westminster and the first students were enrolled (120 in total) in the summer and autumn of 2002.
A beautiful 100 year-old ancient building (and its territory) is located in the center of the capital city Tashkent, the building that had survived the major earthquake of the 1960s, was chosen to be renovated to become WIUT’s new and permanent campus in the years of 2002-2003. Initially built in 1912 -1913 during the late Russian Empire period, originally the building housed the 2nd Women’s Gymnasium. Later, during the USSR, the building was given to the Aviation College. The college existed for 50 years (1946 to 1996) and then, it was merged with the newly formed Tashkent Aviation Institute. By the 2000’s the now vacant building had been in very poor conditions and in 2002, it underwent a major renovation.
On the 6th May 2003 the renovation was completed and Islam Karimov, the first President of the Republic of Uzbekistan, opened the renovated building as a permanent home of the University. In the later years, the popularity of the building increased significantly as it became an important part of WIUT’s official brand logo.
- 2003 – WIUT Students Union was formed and the first elections for the executive were held.
- 2004 – The first set of undergraduate degrees were validated: Business Administration, Business Information Systems, Economics and Legal Studies.
- 2005 – WIUT held its first international conference: “Higher Education Management: International Trends and Local Sustainability”.
- 2005 – The first 16 graduates attended the first Graduation Ceremony held in the backyard of WIUT campus.
- 2006-2007 – the first postgraduate study programmes “MA International Business & Management” and “PG Cert Teaching and Learning” were validated by the University of Westminster.
- 2008 – The University created its Career Centre and held the first of the annual “Career Days”.
- 2008-2009 – In 2009, the Academic Lyceum under WIUT opened its doors to its first 150 students. In the same period, His Royal Highness, Prince Michael of Kent (UK), paid an official visit to Uzbekistan and attended the opening ceremony of the first Sports Hall.
- 2009 – WIUT opened its first Regional Learning Center in the city of Zarafshan (Navoi).
- 2009 – The University launched “Pre-University” courses where university applicants are more effectively trained to matriculate at WIUT.
- 2011 – UK’s Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) gave outstanding commendations for the University of Westminster and WIUT.
- 2012 – WIUT celebrated its 10th Anniversary and the total number of WIUT graduates reached 1000.
- 2013 – WIUT opened a new Regional Learning Center in the city of Urgench (Khorezm).
- 2013 – Validation of the LLM in the International Commercial Law, a new Masters course and further extension of the WIUT campus with opening of a new learning building and sports center.
- 2015 – WIUT launches its Alumni Association.