One of the strategic directions for WIUT is scholarship and research produced by students and staff. WIUT is now ranked as the top cited institution in Uzbekistan by Repository of Papers in Economics (RePEc) run by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. This ranking is based on the number of citations that faculty publications get on the web.
WIUT students are increasingly engaged in research and scholarly activities. They actively participate in weekly research seminars and research training sessions. The university offers a flagship two-year Research Assistant program for its junior researchers. In 2016, the university launched its first New Academic Talent competition for the best student academic paper.
In previous years, WIUT experienced a successful outcome in an international competition of economics research projects called the New Economic Talent organized by a highly reputed CERGE-EI based in Prague. In 2014, former students Dilnoza Muslimova and Angelina Nazarova made it to the global top 15, while Salim Turdaliev took the second place presenting his project in Prague to the team of professors from CERGE-EI and UC-Berkeley. In 2015, Nodira Khaydarova, another student from BSc Economics course won the best undergraduate research paper award.
Research collaboration between WIUT and the University of Westminster is growing stronger. The fund is to support the research at Westminster International University in Tashkent (WIUT) and research active staff mobility between WIUT and University of Westminster (UoW). The research support programme promotes institutional cooperation and focuses on the development of scholarly and research activities at WIUT and between the partner universities. The university makes a priority to fund proposals submitted by teams of WIUT/UoW faculty. Teams that include both senior and junior faculty members, that preferable come from different subject areas are treated in a priority category.
- Annual conferences – In 2016, WIUT jointly with the Central Bank of the Republic of Uzbekistan are pleased to announce their joint annual conference “Inclusive and Sustainable Growth: Current Issues” to be held on June 10 in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. The best papers will be considered for publication in a local journal “Market, Money and Credit”.
- Summer school – From May 30 to June 10, 2016, Westminster International University in Tashkent (WIUT) and International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) will organize a Regional Training Course (Summer School) on Applied Econometric Analysis. The aim of the Summer School is to strengthen the capacity of young economists in Central Asia, specifically those of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, for quantitative research, economic policy analysis, and, in particular, for econometric analysis of socioeconomic phenomena in the context of economics and related social sciences.
- Jamboree – Westminster International University in Tashkent (WIUT) and Institute of Forecasting and Macroeconomic Research under the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan (IFMR) organized Doctorate Jamboree* for Uzbekistan Economists on February 9-13, 2015. Doctorate Jamborees are regular and popular events in the research centers of Western Europe and North America. During the event, doctorate researchers from different universities gather for a few days to share their research results in the usual research seminar format with active discussions.
- Research seminars – Research Seminars at WIUT are open to students, staff and the public.
- Developing countries’ economy
Academic achievements of WIUT students
- New academic talent – invites current Level 6 and 7 students writing their final year project to participate in the New Academic Talent competition. The competition is held in English and has two rounds. Applicants submit their final year project (20-50 pages) and an extended abstract (1-2 pages) to the first round. Selected finalists make their poster presentation at WIUT’s Career Week (April 1) in the second round. Papers are judged based on originality, substance, analytical nature, and clarity of writing. Business investors, employers and academics for this event in the Second Round.
- Student research club – Research Club is soon to be announced for all students.
- Doctoral fellowship – local and UoW PhD plan
- Information regarding research assistants – two-year RA program and recent successes of RA placements